Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The Grand Canyon

Andrew wasn't feeling well on Saturday, but I wasn't going to miss an opportunit to show my parents the Grand Canyon. You can't come all the way to AZ and not see it!

I've been to the canyon a couple of times now and its beauty and grandeur still make my jaw drop. I truly believe it is one of God's greatest gifts -- it's just incredible, and made even more so by experiencing it with family.

We were all bundled up in hats, multiple coat, gloves, etc. It was freezing up there on the rim.



Checking out the view and scouting our route to the bottom - yes, that's right - we've all decided to do the big hike and camp for a night on the floor of the canyon next summer. The details have not been figure out yet, but we're all excited (and a little bit nervous) about the challenge and experience. I'd better start preparing ASAP; I have a long ways to go before I can hike up and down a massive canyon wall without dying haha

As the weather started to worsen, we dipped into the El Tovar dinning room for lunch. The restaurant had a cozy lodge feel to it and the food was quite good. Oh and the view wasn't too shabby either ;)

Note mom holding on to dad for dear life....she was TERRIFIED of standing too close to the edge. In other words, I don't think she'll be joining us on the hike to the bottom next year. Her and Grandma will enjoy the view from the top and some spa treatments inside.


Sunday rolled around it was time to head back down to Phoenix. We had such a great long weekend filled with food, movies, hikes, shopping (for some of us) and just enjoying being together. I'm so grateful for the relationship our families have created -- plus, this way Courtney got the brother she never wanted and Caroline got the sister she always did :) haha

As always it was hard to say goodbye. I was spoiled and got some extra time with Karen, Nini, Poppa, Aunt Kristin and Uncle Ross before my red-eye flight to Boston (a "day trip" to Boston is not fun when you spend more time in the air then on the ground....). Dinner on the patio at the club was the perfect way to end a really fun trip. I highly recommend getting both spouse's parents and grandparents together at the same time -- you get to see twice as many people, twice as often! It's brilliant....

1 comment:

Courtney said...

Fun fun, love the last picture!

Post a Comment