The first week in November I had a series of meetings in NYC. Katie and I had been talking about a 'girls weekend' in the Big Apple for over a year and this seemed like the perfect opportunity. We met on Monday around dinner time, checked-in at our hotel and promptly got ready for a massive pizza dinner. We walked through Times Square on the way to dinner - despite how touristy Times Square is, there is just something magical about all of the lights.

I had pretty full days Tuesday-Friday but we managed to eat a lot of yummy food and see two Broadway shows. We met with one of my colleagues from the Connecticut office on Tuesday night down in at one of the restaurants of a Top Chef winner (a show on the Food Network).

The first play we saw was Anything Goes - a silly musical set on a steamship with a particularly memorable tap dancing scene.

And how do you end any wonderful theater night? Well, with New York cheesecake of course! We discovered the joys of Junior's and its massively delicious pumpkin cheesecake.

On the way to my Thursday meeting we swung by the Today show. The whole lot looked like the were having a great time and (1) Natalie wears SUPER high heels, she must be only 5' without them and (2) Al Roker is a funny little short man. We proceeded to warm up with some hot coffee and croissants at a nearby shop.

As true Sex and the City fans we had to check out the New York Public Library, partly to marvel at its beauty but mostly just to see where Carrie Bradshaw (aka Sarah Jessica Parker) walked up those big white steps just to find out that 'Big' wasn't going to show. Oh, the heartbreak! ;)

The building really is spectacular (and its free to get in).

Happy Sex and the City campers. As part of the Millennial Generation I never thought I could get so excited about a library.

After a failed attempt to win the ticket lottery at Wicked on Wednesday night we decided to give it one more shot on Thursday. Each evening a few hours before the show is to begin, a lottery for 25 front row seats is held. We were disappointed when we didn't win the first time but to my utter surprise/shock/amazement "Kristen Jones" was called on Thursday!!!! After jumping up and down and squealing like little 6 year olds we pulled ourselves together and lined up to get our tickets. Our dreams had come true - we won 2 front row, dead-center tickets to Wicked for only $26 a piece :) WOOHOO!

Our trip (and lives, ha!) were complete. I had seen Wicked once before on Broadway and this was Katie's first experience -- though I wouldn't be surprised, actually I can pretty much guarantee, this won't be the last time we see it. The show was incredible and Jackie Burns (who played Elphaba/the Wicked Witch) won 2 new loyal fans. I'm still in awe of her talent.

I also got to see my other Katie. How lucky to have both of my Katie's with me!!! Katie Hannon (who works in NYC and lives in Priceton, NJ) met us at Penn Station to take the train out to Princeton on Friday afternoon.

After dropping our stuff off at Katie and Adam's adorable place, we grabbed coffee and strolled around the Princeton campus. Clearly, it is gorgeous.

The entire campus felt very east coast/collegiate. The church was particularly beautiful, especially as we listened to an acapella group of 6 practice in the sanctuary. The sound of their voices echoing off the stone walls was really incredible - a moment I won't soon forget.

The sun quickly fell and we made our way to a cute little Italian place in walking distance to Katie and Adam's place. We had a leisurely dinner and simply enjoyed the opportunity to catch up.

On Saturday it was time to go home after a busy week of work and fun. Katie Lee had also had a busy week filled with ice skating, going to Regis & Kelly and Letterman, checking out Bryant Park, etc. We were both tired and so happy to have ended our trip with Katie Hannon in Princeton. I can't wait to go back with Andrew to spend more time seeing the town and hanging out with Adam.
2 comments:
That was such an awesome week! Thanks again for letting me tag along. I love your new blog look. It's so you!
I love the new blog look!!
Post a Comment