Sunday, May 2, 2010

Double Down

I had heard rumors of and read an article on this new sandwich KFC was coming out with, The Double Down - have you heard of it?

In case you haven't here's what KFC's website has to say about it: "The new KFC Double Down sandwich is real! This one-of-a-kind sandwich features two thick and juicy boneless white meat chicken filets (Original Recipe® or Grilled), two pieces of bacon, two melted slices of Monterey Jack and pepper jack cheese and Colonel's Sauce. This product is so meaty, there’s no room for a bun!"

Basically, it's a heart attack in a wrapper.

Andrew and the lab guys decided that they NEEDED to try this gloriously greasy sandwich so they could form their own opinions of this new fast food menu item (and take a few days off of their lives....)

So after work on Friday we all headed over to Will's place to eat some Double Downs and drink some Miller High Life -- see, just because you're married doesn't mean you really have to be mature ;)


I will admit that I had 2 bites - I couldn't resist joining in the fun. I thought it was OK (I'm a total carb lover though so I missed having a bun. To be honest I ate the biscuits that we got instead of eating a Double Down haha). The guys all thought they were surprisingly good but really greasy. I don't think anyone will be rushing back to KFC to get another one anytime soon, but all in all we were pleasantly surprised.

To counterbalance all of that nastiness, I have been making some DELICIOUS, much more healthy meals. A couple of been so good that I thought I'd share the recipes with you all now:

The first is super simple and a great thing to make for guests in the morning on a Sunday after church.

GREEK OMELET
1 cup cherry tomatoes
4-5 pickled golden hot Greek peppers, drained and sliced (I just used pre-sliced pepperoncinis)
3 scallions, sliced
1/3 cup pitted olives
4oz feta cheese
a small handful of flat leafed parsley, chopped
6 extra large eggs
fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
crusty bread or pita

Arrange the tomatoes, pickled peppers, scallion, and olives equally around the oiled pan or pie plate. Crumble the feta then grind black pepper over the top. Sprinkle with parsley.


Put the eggs in a bowl, beat well and season with a good pinch or salt. Pour the eggs over the ingredients in the pan. Bake in a preheated over at 400*F until puffed and just golden around the edges, 15 to 20 minutes.

Cut and place on top of crusty bread. Andrew usually isn't a fan of omelet, but he loved this!

BOW TIE PASTA WITH ASPARAGUS, SUN-DRIED TOMATOES AND BOURSIN
1/3 cup pine nuts
kosher salt
8 oz bow tie pasta
14 medium asparagus spears, peeled and cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 large cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 cup drained, oil-packed sun dried tomatoes, chopped
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 oz garlic and fine herbs boursin (in the fancy cheese section, comes in a little white box)
1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill, or 3/4 teaspoon dried dill weed
3/4 teaspoon lemon pepper (we didn't have this)

Put the pine nuts in a dry small skillet over medium heat. Shake constantly until evenly toasted on all sides, about 4 minutes. Set aside.

Fill a large saucepan three fourths full of water. Bring to a boil over high heat and kosher salt. Add the pasta and cook, stirring occasionally, until barely tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the asparagus to the pan and cook until tender-crisp, 1 to 2 minutes. Drain the pasta and asparagus, reserving 3/4 cup of the cooking water.

Set the pan over medium heat and heat the olive oil. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant and lightly brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Return the pasta and asparagus to the pan, then add the reserved cooking water. Add the tomatoes, Parmesan cheese, Boursin, dill and the 3/4 teaspoon lemon pepper and toss to combine. Stir in the pine nuts. Season with kosher salt to taste and more lemon pepper if necessary.

Divide the pasta between two bowls and garnish with parsley, if desired. Serve immediately. We like this new recipe so much that we've made it twice already. It's great re-heated, too!!

I also made a huge pot of chili this weekend and thought all of the veggies looked so beautiful that they deserved a picture :) haha

Happy cooking!

1 comment:

Linda said...

I love that you tried it! A guy at work had the KFC Double Down and said it has 50 grams of fat in it and over 1200 calories. Haha

Your home cooking looks much more appealing!

xo Mom

Post a Comment